The success of Catholic education in Brooklyn and Queens is also measured with proven results:
• ELA results on New York State Tests in Catholic academies/schools consistently outpaced New York State and City schools.
• Catholic Education is cost efficient: per pupil spending averages $5,143 compared to over $19,597 per pupil in NYC public elementary schools; savings to NYC taxpayers – over $600 million per year.
• Average annual tuition for a Catholic elementary school within the Diocese of Brooklyn is $4,022.
• $7.566 million in scholarships was awarded to 5,495 students to attend Catholic elementary schools within the diocese.
• 75% of eighth grade graduates will attend Catholic or other private/specialized high schools.
• 58 schools and academies reported that 538 eighth grade graduates were offered $8,838,220 in merit-based scholarships to attend these high schools.
• 63 eighth grade graduates were accepted into specialized schools.
• 99% of students in Catholic secondary schools graduate within four years; 98% go on to college.